Turmeric Latte- the trending cup of good health!
Turmeric Latte, the popular drink with a cult following, found in every hipster café these days has a long history. It is the new age avatar of the age-old Turmeric Milk that has been used for centuries in Indian kitchens as a potential ayurvedic remedy for cold, pain and inflammation.
No wonder its bright impressive look and unique taste have made turmeric lattes a new staple at some cafes and grocery stores around the world.
What goes in Turmeric Latte?
Turmeric gets both its bright yellow colour and its purported health benefits from the chemical component called curcumin. Curcumin is a fat-soluble compound and combining turmeric with fats enhances the absorption of curcumin. Which is why Turmeric Lattes are a huge hit as they combine the goodness of turmeric with milk and other nutritious herbs like ginger, nuts and cinnamon.
It has also been observed that adding piperine, an active compound in black pepper, can enhance turmeric’s absorption in the body by 2000%.
How to make a delicious cuppa of Turmeric Latte?
Turmeric lattes can be made in many ways. The staple ingredients are turmeric and some type of milk. Many lattes are sweetened with honey or another natural sweetener.
Here’s the recipe of Turmeric Latte:
- Add 2 cups of milk, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, a slice of ginger, ½ tsp vanilla extract and a pinch of black pepper in a pan.
- Whisk all the ingredients together over a gentle heat.
- Once hot, pour into a mug and sprinkle with a little cinnamon to serve.
- You can add honey or any natural sweetener for taste thereafter.
Health benefits of Turmeric Lattes
Curcumin in Turmeric Latte has strong antioxidants, anti-microbial, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which makes it’s a powerful herb to offer many health benefits such as:
- Boosting Immunity & metabolism
- Reducing inflammation in the body- popular for treating inflammatory disease such as arthritis
- Promoting a healthy joint mobility
- Enabling faster healing of wounds and injuries
- Preventing and managing diabetes
- Promoting a radiant skin
- Improving digestion, reduces bloating and gas related symptoms
- Supporting a healthy heart and liver function
- Aiding in weight-loss
Besides all the properties of curcumin, Turmeric Lattes offer immense nutritional value too. They are a great source of proteins, antioxidants, calcium, potassium and magnesium.
Turmeric is also an excellent source of phosphorus. Studies show that phosphorus is a critical part of healthy bones, teeth, and DNA. Getting enough phosphorus in your diet can reduce your risk of anaemia, infection or bone issues.
So do make yourself a healthy cup of Turmeric Latte, once or twice a day to enjoy the many health benefits it offers in every sip.